HOWEVER, as of January 1, 2012:
- It will be illegal to manufacture 100 watt incandescent bulbs in the U.S.
- It will be illegal to import 100 watt incandescent bulbs into the U.S.
So, while there is no ban, the effect will be the same in the long run.
See the article "Is There a Ban on Incandescent Light Bulbs?" to find out more, including:
- The name of the new law that will take place the first of the year
- What some of the valid objections are to CFL bulbs that will become one of the primary replacements
- What you are required to do when a CFL bulb burns out or breaks, releasing hazardous mercury
- Why some people are stocking up on bulk supplies of old fashioned light bulbs
As the supply becomes more and more scarce, the price for 100 watt incandescent bulbs is sure to rise. I do believe it has risen a little bit already. Eventually . . . they will simply be unavailable.